As part of the celebration, USA Today decided to join in the fun by opening a poll to determine which of Canada’s beautiful landmarks is number one. Out of twenty parks nominated and resourcing a team of Canadian travel writers, the publication asked readers to decide on the top ten national parks our country has to offer.
The top ten included many Canadian jewels including Alberta’s Jasper National Park, Manitoba’s Riding Mountain Park, and Pacific Rim National Park Reserve in British Columbia. But, one east coast gem took the top spot, and it is easy to understand why.
Cape Breton Highlands National Park in Nova Scotia is home to many iconic features that Canadians love. The ancient plateau offers valleys, forests, river canyons and ocean views and houses an abundant amount of wildlife. The park is a tourist destination for Canadians and international travellers and has some of the best camping, hiking, and star-gazing that our country has to offer.
Here is USA Today’s full top 10 list of the best National Parks in Canada:
- Cape Breton Highlands National Park – Nova Scotia
- Jasper National Park – Alberta
- Riding Mountain National Park – Manitoba
- Banff National Park – Alberta
- Grasslands National Park – Saskatchewan
- Gros Morne National Park – Newfoundland and Labrador
- Fundy National Park – New Brunswick
- La Mauricie National Park – Quebec
- Prince Albert National Park – Saskatchewan
- Pacific Rim National Park Reserve – British Columbia